Friday 7 July 2017

10:01:00

British actor, Michael Enright battling Islamic State in the Syrian city of Raqqa has said he is fighting to avenge the recent terror attack on his hometown of Manchester.

Michael, who starred alongside Johnny Depp in the blockbuster film Pirates of the Caribbean, has now swapped his cutlass for a kalashnikov.

The 52-year-old from Moss Side is now embedded with troops from the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), who are closing in on Isil jihadists in the group’s so-called capital. The SDF is dominated by the Kurdish YPG militia, which Mr Enright joined in 2015.

He said:

“I will remember Manchester Arena and the two attacks in London on Westminster Bridge and at Borough Market,” he said.

“The attack in Manchester especially brought a lot of emotions. I’m used to a lot of death, and terrorist attacks, but this was different, it’s my home town,” he said, referring to the suicide bomb attack that killed 23 concert-goers at Manchester Arena in May.

“I’ll give ISIS no quarter. I won’t expect much mercy from them and I will not give them much mercy, that I can promise you,” he said. He said it was difficult to hear the news from his home country, but it has strengthened his resolve.

“It might be a bit strange but when I heard about the attack on London Bridge I thought, ‘I wish I’d been there’.

“I’d have grabbed the nearest knife. I don’t know which way it would have gone but at least I could have gone for them.

“It just absolutely hardened my heart. Every single day now when there’s an operation here in Syria against ISIS I’m the first to put my hand up to volunteer.”

Mr Enright said he decided to join the fight against Isis after journalist James Foley was beheaded by Mohammed Emwazi known as Jihadi John.

Despite having no military training, Mr Enright said he travelled to Syria in early 2015 without telling his mother and sister because he did not want them to talk him out of it.

He also added:

‘This is the most important thing I’ve ever done with my life,’ 
‘There’s no acting job that can come close to this. I made a commitment to stay here until we’ve beaten ISIS and that’s what I intend to do.

Since joining the fight against terror, the former actor has lost hearing in one of his ears, but he said it’s nothing compared to what his fellow soldiers have suffered.

Sleeping on mats or on the ground and going days without food is tough, Mr Enright said, but with the ultimate goal in mind he and his comrades get their heads down and carry on with the task at hand.

He now looks forward to combative battles, because with cards banned in Syria amid fears it would encourage gambling, there is little else to do.

Mr Enright poses for a picture holding up an ISIS flag as he fights to flush the terror group out of Syria

The post This Is The Reason British Actor, Michael Enright Quit Hollywood To Fight Against ISIS appeared first on Nigerian Celebrity News + Latest Entertainment News.



from Nigerian Celebrity News + Latest Entertainment News http://ift.tt/2uSTpet
via IFTTT

0 comments:

Post a Comment